Henna and indigo are both natural herbs that will protect the hair, strengthen the hair, and promote healthy hair growth. If these herbs are not used properly on natural hair they can be very drying. Also the herbs can become entangled in our curly or kinky locks if the proper techniques are not used. By mixing the two herbs together you will get a variety of different hair colors.
Hair application bottle ( used for dyeing hair)
Olive oil or Coconut oil
Cheese cloth or knee high stocking
How to dye your natural hair brown:
- Mix natural henna powder in half lemon juice and half warm water ( just enough to saturate the henna).
- Allow the henna to sit overnight.
- The next morning strain the henna using cheese cloth or stocking (such as an inexpensive knee high stocking). By straining the henna you do not have to worry about the herbs becoming entangled in your hair.
- Next, take some indigo powder and mix it with warm water.
- Then strain the indigo powder.
- After about 20 to 25 minutes mix the powder free liquid ingredients together. The more indigo added the darker the color.
- Add one can of coconut milk (water & milk contents) and 1/4 of a cup of olive or coconut oil to indigo/ henna mixure. ( This will stop the henna’s drying effects to your hair)
- Mix all ingredients together then apply to the hair paying close attention to the roots and the hair ends.
- Cover hair with shower cap and leave in for 1 hour or more.
- Then rinse hair thoroughly with shampoo.
- Deep condition hair, apply a leave-in conditioner then style.
How to dye your natural hair jet black:
- Follow steps 1-8 omitting the indigo powder using henna powder only.
- Rinse henna out of the hair after 25 minutes. ( henna should be left in the hair for only 25 minutes)
- Apply a little salt to warm water mix until dissolved then mix in the indigo powder. (add enough water to saturate mixture.)
- Let the indigo powder sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Strain the indigo with cheese cloth or inexpensive knee high stocking.
- Add a little coconut oil or olive oil to to mixture.
- Apply mixture to hair.
- Cover hair with a plastic cap and leave in for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours rinse out.
- Shampoo, deep condition, apply a leave-in conditioner, then style.