This chickpea cake recipe reminds me of crab cakes but it’s totally vegan. I mean no meat, no eggs included in this recipe at all, plus it is fortified with protein. This is a simple dish with made quickly with a side of mixed greens!
Chickpea Cakes & Sauteed Greens
Time: Less than 30 minutes
1 cup herbed breadcrumbs
1 onion, ½ chopped & ½ sliced thin
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, ½ chopped into pieces & ½ sliced thin
1 tbsp chia grounded seeds
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
2 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tsp coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bag of kale and spinach
- First, mix grounded chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water until an egg like consistency forms. Mix in 1 tablespoon of oil, garam masala, coriander, pinch of salt and pepper until blended. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pulse the chickpeas in a blender or food processor into a course like purée.
- In a medium bowl, add the processed chickpeas, chopped onions, 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped red bell pepper. Add the chia seed mixture and begin adding the breadcrumbs until well combined ( you may have breadcrumbs left over).
- Divide chickpea mixture into 4 equal portions and form into 1 inch or ½ inch thick patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Lay all four patties in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Prepare the mixed greens
- In the same pan add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet, heat until simmering.
- Next, add the sliced onions, red bell pepper, and 2 teaspoons of garlic, dried oregano to the skillet and cook until heated through.
- Finally, grab about 2 handfuls of spinach and kale then add to the pan, heat until wilted blending all ingredients together. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Divide the chickpea Cakes and sautéed mixed greens onto plates. Serve and enjoy!